Pickering Brook Sports Club History Updated October 2019

Early Pickering Brook Football Club


The people of the Darling Range were scattered through the hills on small land allotments struggling to create a living after clearing, by hand, their land and planting fruit trees and vegetables. Socials became an important part of their life style. Whether it be a gathering in a secluded patch of bush for a picnic or an amateur match of cricket or tennis on a cleared patch of bush near the house.

Hector Price tells us that there were not enough young people to make up full teams but cricket was “an obsession”. It was frequently played with only two on each side. The batting side provided the wicket keeper – or backstop – and the bowling team provided one fielder who usually played at square leg, which argues for some fairly rustic batting.

Early attempts at Australian Rules Football also happened with a report of a junior match between Pickering Brook and Canning Mills in June 1907. It resulted in a win for Pickering Brook scoring 5 goals 3 behinds to Canning Mills 3 goals 7 behind. T. Humphrey of Pickering Brook kicked 3 goals and P Began of Canning Mills kicked 2 goals.

EARLY PICKERING BROOK FOOTBALL CLUB Date unknown c1907 - includes Tommy Roads #1
Back Row: Fred Walls, unknown, unknown, Bob Logie, unknown, unknown, next row: Dick Griffiths, Bill Logie, Harry Weston, Jesse Moore, front row Jack Wallis, Harold Littley
South Kalamunda Cricket Club c1919

These evolved as the years passed and meant that more permanent areas were created on which these gatherings could be held, and therefore they became more regular. Tennis courts were built by Fred Wallis at Lawnbrook Road, Walliston, Harry Westons at Pickering Brook, the Shadforths (now Giglias next to Vincis) on Pickering Brook Road and later, John Padgett on Patterson Road at Pickering Brook.

Small groups were created to play on a regular basis. One such group became the South Kalamunda Sports Club in 1919, which met at Fred Wallis’ at Walliston. Fred was very sporting minded and encouraged many sports to be played. After returning from World War 1, he built tennis courts, cricket pitches and grassed bowling areas on his property in Lawnbrook Road.

Lawn Bowls at Wallis . Mr. Pettit & Mr. Wallis

Because cricket became very popular in the district, the club grew and now needed a permanent area to call their own. In December 1919, Harry Weston moved a motion at the Darling Range Road Board Meeting that the Board apply to the Water Supply Department for an area to be set apart as a recreation reserve at Pickering Brook. The Under Secretary of Water Supply replied that it had no objections to the leasing of a piece of land to the Board at Pickering Brook for recreation purposes, subject to the conditions that as little clearing as possible be done; that the Department’s sanitary conditions be strictly adhered to; and that any orders for the enforcement of sanitation be at once complied with.

This group became the Pioneer Sports Club in 1920 with the cricket team containing a number of players from the Pickering Brook/Carilla areas. These included Jesse Moore, Frank Weston and Harry Weston. It played matches with the returned soldiers from St. Andrews Convalescent Home, which is now Saint Brigid’s College, in Lesmurdie. These Soldiers had been injured by gas and shrapnel in the 1914-1918 war.

'Pretoria' 98 Lawnbrook Road, Walliston, 1920 - 1936. Identification: Top Left: (?), Fred Wallis, (?), Frank Weston, Surrey Swan, Dick Griffiths, Joe Gray, (?) Jack Littley, George Winning, Hugh Halleen, Jack Wallis, Harold Littley.
Pioneer Cricket Club

The second annual general meeting of the Pioneer Sports Club, was held on the night of September 28th 1920, at the residence of Harry Weston, Pickering Brook. There was a record attendance of members, who listened attentively to the reading of the balance sheet and the secretary’s report, which were accepted. Members expressed keen satisfaction at the progress the club had made. During the last 12 months many forms of sports had been inaugurated, in which young and old all participated. The tennis branch reported very favourable progress, three or four tournaments having been played within the last few months, when the weather had permitted. Every prospect is again held out for the cricket team, which last year won all honours in the Darling Range Cricket Association, only being defeated in one match.

The Secretary of the Pioneer Sports Club, Mr. H. C. Mason, wrote to the Darling Range Road Board requesting permission to lease the reserve at Pickering Brook for the cricket season. Permission was granted at a cost of 2/6 (25 Cents) per annum.

A concrete cricket pitch was laid about 1922 on which to play. Over the next few years, the popularity waned and even with people from the Carmel and Roleystone areas joining in, there was barely enough to make up two teams for social games. There were very few coming from Carilla, then known as Number One Mill, an area which then was mainly in the development stage.

However other sports were attracting new interest. There was some interest in Australian Rules Football but lack of numbers precluded this sport developing to any extent. It was not until 1923 that there appears to have been enough players to have formed a soccer side – eleven was the most that could be mustered so Australian Rules was out. Pickering Brook represented the Kalamunda district in a draw against the reigning champions Victoria Park which ended in an honourable draw.

A tennis court was erected on the Pickering Sports Ground about 1922-24 and this was probably the nucleus of, or the beginning of, the Pickering Brook Sports Club, although it was not organized as such at that time. There were also a few private tennis courts built in the mid 1920’s.

In 1924 many who had previously supported the Karragullen Sports Club, met regularly at Pickering Brook, for Tennis on two courts situated on the property of Harry Weston, situated below Mooney’s Cool Store. Weston’s shed cum hall, was used for social gatherings prior to the construction of the Carilla Hall in 1925.


A Progress Association Committee was formed in January 1925 and after several interviews with the Under Secretary for Lands, was successful in getting the land adjoining the school ground granted for a hall site and recreation ground. The Minister for Works had given favourable consideration to the application for a loan of 350 Pounds ($700), subject to the balance, 350 pounds ($700) being subscribed by the residents. In connection to this Messrs Hayes, Shaw and Bevan were elected trustees.

Enthusiasm gathered momentum, and a month later a Pickering Brook Sports Meeting was advertised in the “Sunday Times”, to be held on March 21st 1925 at No. 1 Siding – Pickering Brook. In promoted a programme of many and varied events plus good prize money. A total of Fifty Pounds ($100) in prizes. Log Chop. Maiden Underhand, Boys Chop, Sheffield Handicap, Sprint, Drag Saw, Ladies Race, Children’s Races, Old Buffers Race, Three Legged Race, Obstacle Race, Sack Race, High Jump plus numerous other events. Sports start 1.30. Nominations to be handed to R. Thorley, Sports Secretary. Authorised by Mark Waters, Chairman and Bert Bevan, Hon. Secretary.

The members of the Progress Association have made considerable progress in clearing the hall site and sports ground, during recent Sunday afternoons, and have been ably assisted by the ladies committee attending to refreshments. The committee hope to have the hall floor ready for open air dancing in time for the Sports Meeting being held later in March.

Following are the results of this Sports Meeting held at No. 1 Siding, Pickering Brook on March 21st 1925.

Drag Saw Contest: R. Thorley 1, G. Watson 2
16in Log Chop: G. Weston 1, H. Holmes 2, C. Wright 3
Maiden Chop: S. Hunter 1, H. Hawkins 2, H. Holmes 3
Sheffield Handicap: H. J. Flemming 1, J. H. Bogue 2, G. Cummins 3
75 Yard Sprint: H. J. Flemming
High Jump: J. Martin
Three Legged Race G. Neave & C. Neave
Sack Race: Holroyd
Old Buffers Race: Taylor
Single Ladies Race: Miss Padgett
Married Ladies Race: Mrs. Johnson

Meanwhile, the push for a permanent recreation reserve at the other end of the townsite had resulted in an area of lands being surveyed as a Recreation Reserve for Pickering Brook. In 1925, the Darling Range road Board granted the lease of the reserve at Pickering Brook to the Pioneer Sports Club and the first building was erected. This was a shed made of tin and hessian with a galvanised iron roof and a bush shelter under a gum tree. It was inhabited by a tramp for a while who used to move out on Sundays when sport was in progress and then move back in when play had finished. The Board approved the leasing of the Recreation Reserve to the Pioneer Sports Club for an annual fee of 2/6 (25 Cents).

However, although very pleased with this decision, Frank Weston raised his concern to the fact that a track used by him passed through the middle of the area and that if the reserve was ever fenced it would cause major problems. The Darling Range Road Board resolved to explain that the survey would be inconvenient to the Board and a new survey will be appreciated, the existing track to be the boundary.

Two years later, in 1927, the Cricket Team of the Pioneer Sports Club, now called the Pickering Brook Cricket Club, was still very strong and competed in matches both at home and away. The results of one match held at Sawyers Valley has been obtained and is listed below.

The Pickering Brook Cricket Club journeyed to Sawyer’s Valley last Sunday to play the local team, and were defeated by 150 runs. Scores –

Sawyer’s Valley, 214.
E. Foot, 25; J. Watters, 41; S. Rhodes, 19; D. Byrne, 70 not out; W. Pearce, 17; F. Coloquhous, 12 not out.
Bowling for Pickering Brook, Littley 1 for 64, H. Weston 1 for 24, Brolly 1 for 32, F. Weston 1 for 27, Newton 3 for 22.
Pickering Brook, 64.
Littley10; Newton 17; Washer 14.
Bowling for Sawyer’s Valley. F. Farrell 5 for 21, S. Rhodes 1 for 8, E. Foot 1 for 10, J. Watters 1 for 7, Bert Kent 3 for 3.

In July 1927 a Soccer team was formed at Carilla, near Pickering Brook. They became affiliated and expressed their intention to apply for entry into the metropolitan league the following year with the idea of competing with metropolitan clubs at Carilla. This club went through a number of name changes from the Kalamunda-Carilla Soccer Club, to the Darling Range Soccer Club. Many of their players came from the Pickering Brook and Carilla areas.

The Darling Range Soccer Club has been disbanded in 1932, and a year later affiliation was granted to the new Pickering Brook Soccer Club.

The first buildings on the reserve fell into disrepair during the Second World War but was repaired in 1946 when it was possible to resume local sorts again.

In 1947 the Sub-Branch of the R.S.L. had reformed and quickly became very active in promoting local sports and games meetings. A Boys Club was created within the R.S.L. group and they performed gymnastics in the Carilla Hall and played cricket at a cricket pitch that was built in a small reserve next to the hall, where the Pickering Brook Heritage Park is situated today.

A year later a sports meeting was arranged to be held on November 10th. A list of requirements was compiled as follows;

  1. Return of Lavatories
  2. Prepare Grounds, Race Track & Log Chop area
  3. Erection of stalls for Refreshments, Bar, Committee Room, Sweat Wheel & other games
  4. Canvas the district for donations of fruit, Vegies, Tea, Sugar, Butter, Milk, etc.
  5. Sports Programme, Prize Money.
  6. Notices to be printed.
  7. Refreshments – 100 gallon Beer plus 2 Cases, Ginger Beer?, Ice Cream?, Hire Glasses?
  8. Water tank & hose.
  9. Savs & Rolls.

Admission one shilling. Novelties – Pipe Band, Sweat Wheel, Darts.

Charlie Spriggs organised a cricket match in 1948 which was attended by 40 people. The meeting was so successful that it started what is now the Pickering Brook Sports Club. Ernie and George Holroyd, Jack Negroni and Alex Niven led the local settlers in clearing an area for the cricket pitch. This first cricket match was held under a large old gum tree on the edge of what is now, the No. 2 Fairway of the Pickering Brook Golf Club. The tree is still there today and is marked by a plaque paying tribute to those early players. It is also listed as a recognised Historical Site by the Heritage Council of Western Australia

Ernie Holroyd at Sports Club

In the late forties, Silio Di Marco and others formed a Soccer Team at Karragullen. The Armadale-Kelmscott Road Board built a very satisfactory playing ground for them in 1948. It was opposite where the old Karragullen Hall used to be on O’Meagher’s Road. The event became very popular with the metropolitan soccer teams as they used to book ahead to come to play a game with them on a Sunday and then afterwards combine it with a family picnic. Later Charlie Spriggs convinced this team to amalgamate with Pickering Brook to play at their sports ground which had better facilities.

The recently formed Pickering Brook Sports Committee held their first Soccer match in May 1949. The game was marked by the energy and enthusiasm of the players that gave encouragement to this section of the sports committee.

As sporting activities were on the move again after a few quite years, in December 1949 at the Pickering Brook Sports Club a group of local enthusiasts, led by Charlie Spriggs, built the first weather-board and asbestos club house on the Pickering Brook Reserve, having received some funding from the Darling Range Road Board. The completed cost was 50 dollars ($100). By the end of December they were underway building a bowling alley. So Tennis, Cricket, Soccer and Bowls were now being played regularly.


Over the next few years things really gathered momentum. A permanent BBQ was built at the Sports Ground, the Pickering Brook Tennis Club held a number of fund raising dances at the Carilla Hall and many competition matches were held with neighbouring cricket and soccer clubs.

Old Clubhouse with Myrtle McCorkill Standing in Front 1960's

Pickering Brook had now assumed the mantle of the sporting centre of Kalamunda area. From small beginnings in 1920, the original sporting area grew under the Whitlam Labor Government to one of the biggest single sporting complexes in the whole of Australia. In the early 1950’s about 30 local people each put in 20 pounds ($40) to build a golf course and a club house which was granted a liquor licence. It was a self-help job by the local people.

In December 1950 at the Darling Range Road Board Meeting, discussion centred around what the main requirements for this fast growing sporting complex. They were a shelter shed, change rooms and the clearing of timber and rocks to provide an area for cricket and football. The Board stated that a compressor could be made available to assist with blasting rocks, etc. Also Mr. Godbold asked about the possibility to extend the existing reserve northward to include railway land.

The Pickering Brook P. & C. Association and the Pickering Brook Sports Club applied for improvements to the Pickering Brook Reserve. The Board decided that consideration of any development work be deferred until next financial year and that the Sports Committee be informed that only one amount of 15 pounds ($30) (as already promised) is available at the present time for extensions to existing lavatories.

Finally in August 1952 the new Club Rooms on the Recreation Ground were completed and to celebrate the opening, the Pickering Brook Sports Club held a huge Sports Day and Gymkhana. Three busloads of visitors from Perth joined the locals and all had a lovely day. In the evening, a dance was held at Carilla Hall, as there was too large a crowd for the small club room.

Pickering Brook Garage

Raymond Cecil Owen, on behalf of The Pickering Brook Sports Club, applied for the Club to be Incorporated, on June 14th 1953.

Later that same year, on Saturday, November 7th, the Pickering Brook Sports Club held a monster carnival and fair on the Pickering Brook Sports Ground. Mr. Ray Owen officially opened the fair with some well-chosen remarks and much credit is due to the President, Mr. George Spriggs, Secretary, Mr. Harry Godbold, and their Committee for the well organised sports and events which kept going from 11 a.m. until 5.30 p.m. All ages and classes were catered for, children’s races, decorated bicycles, cycle races, motor cycle races, tractor events, horse events, married ladies’ races and old buffers’ race, musical chairs in motor vehicles and the most hilarious, the draught horse derby and many other events which were all well contested. The horse events were well worth watching and the young riders were a credit to their teachers, the boys tractor race showed how well these boys worth at home helping father, they handled the tractors with confidence and efficiency.

In the evening, a dance and barbecue was held at Carilla Hall which was packed with happy folk who enjoyed dancing for which Mrs. Taylor’s orchestra played and Mr. Spinney gave several items on his piano-accordion, which were very popular. There had not been such a night at Carilla for several years. Those who were hungry grilled their chops over the fires and really enjoyed them and the ladies served cups of tea. A fitting end to a very successful day.

The Francias Brothers, who had recently opened the Pickering Brook Garage and were Agents for Winterbottom Motors displayed a wide range of Austin and Dodge vehicles on the Pickering Brook Sports Ground for the day.

These Sports Club Carnivals and Fair proved so popular that they quickly became an annual event over the following years.

Opening of New Bowling “Green” at Pickering Brook Sports Club

The first composite Bowling “Green” in this State was opened on 19th March 1961, at the Pickering Brook Sports Club and was laid down under the direction of the Shell Company’s bitumen engineer, using Terolas bitumen emulsion and rubber buffings supplied by Dunlop Rubber Company.

Pat and Frank Granger joined the Pickering Brook Sports Club in 1962 because of the family atmosphere.
Before long they both became involved in the club and were elected to a committee. In their second year at the club Frank was elected Vice President and Pat was Golf Handicap Manager.

Ron Gilcrist, Bob La Bianca, Peter Hitchins, Ernie Mason, Archie Anderson & Jack O'meagher in Visitors Bar 1960's

They continued in these rolls for several years travelling from their home in Ardross regularly for meetings, events and of course to play golf. The club was growing and the clubrooms were small, so the committee discussed building a new clubhouse. After plans were drawn up and tenders were in, the committee realised they couldn’t afford the new building. Frank suggested altering the plan, recycle material from the existing building and ask members to do the work. Frank was a registered builder, so he offered to supervise the build. He also provided equipment and his brickie team, at no cost to the club. Fortunately there were plenty of members who were tradesman willing to work for free. Every Saturday the men, women and children pitched in until the new club was built. A BBQ and drinks were provided by the club at the end of the day’s work, Corroboree.

Trying Out the new Unfinished Bar


Once the new clubhouse was completed, a big opening night was planned. VIP’s from other clubs were invited to attend. The social committee called on the members to provide the entertainment. Kaye Wescott choreographed “We are Football Heroes” with the women dressed up in WAFL footy team jumpers and the men wearing dresses as the “WAGS”. Another act was a take-off of the “Mavis Bramston Show”.

Pickering Brook Darts Club

The darts enthusiasts continues playing even whilst the renovations were happening. As membership grew they became quite a force within the darts community and competed in many championships.

Official Opening

Once the new clubhouse was completed, a big opening night was planned. VIP’s from other clubs were invited to attend. The social committee called on the members to provide the entertainment. Kaye Wescott choreographed “We are Football Heroes” with the women dressed up in WAFL footy team jumpers and the men wearing dresses as the “WAGS”. Another act was a take-off of the “Mavis Bramston Show”.

8th June, 1974

Pickering Brook Golf Club

With the new club room completed the members continued to work on the grounds. A lot of work needed to be done on the Gold Course. Busy Bee days were organised and as usual everyone pitched in.

Golf Ladies “Wind-Up Days”

The lady members were avid golfers. They played and practiced regularly at Pickering Brook as well as travelling to other clubs for competition. Pat granger won many trophies in her time playing golf. A big day for the ladies was their annual wind up. They would set a theme and play golf in costume. Pat was an amateur photographer and documented those days.

Gala Night at Pickering Brook

From an article published in ‘The Kalamunda News’ 15th June 1974

On Saturday, 8th June 1974, over 750 people attended the most spectacular social event to be held in the Kalamunda Shire for many years – the Official opening of the new club premises at the Pickering Brook Sports Club by His Excellency the Governor, Air Commodore H. I. Edwards.Official Guests included the Premier of W.A. The Hon. Sir Charles Court, The Hon. Gordon Masters, M.L.C., Mr. Ian Thompson, M.L.A. Mr. G. Samuells, Chairman of the Metropolitan Water Board, Mr. H. Graham, Chairman of the Licensing Court, Mr. E. C. Rushton, Minister for Local Government and Mr. L. O’Meara, Shire Clerk.

After an inspection of sporting facilities still under construction, the guests returned to the club house where Vise President, Mr. D. Taylor introduced the President, Mr. George Spriggs.

Mr. Spriggs gave an outline of the events leading up to the construction of the new club house. “The Pickering Brook Sports Club” he said, “have had four club houses and in May 1964 when they moved into their “new club house” members had felt pretty tremendous”, he commented that in fact some members had not been happy about leaving them, but looking around this new building he was sure they would now appreciate the move.

He made mention of the honour board, on this board people could see the names of some who had worked so hard for the Club over many years. Charlie Spriggs had put in many years and long hours with little renumeration. His efforts had helped to achieve the present facilities. The first 9 hole golf course had to be mattocked out of the earth.

Mr. Spriggs reflected that when negotiations were taking place with the Water Board that although he and Mr. Samuells had never agreed on the amount of compensation finally paid for the old site, he had come to the conclusion that Public Servants were human after all.

Paying tribute to all those who had given so generously of their time and efforts in supporting the Club, Mr. Spriggs said of Mr. A. Fernie, Treasurer for the past 17 years, “like all good Treasurers, getting money out of him was like drawing a nail out of Wandoo!”

He then introduced His Excellency the Governor, who, in unveiling a plaque to open the Club House, commented on the great achievement by such a small population, he said he was sure that the Club would become a mecca for members both day and night.

Sir Charles Court congratulated the Club Members on behalf of the people of W. A. for a wonderful community effort.

“Our forefathers”, said Sir Charles, “worked hard to give us better conditions and more leisure time. One of life’s greatest challenges is learning how to make use of your leisure time, and people here have accepted that challenge.” In concluding The Premier assured those present that scheme water would soon be a reality in the Pickering Brook, Carilla area, it is not possible to give a definite date, but it was on the ‘top of the list’. Mr. Ian Thompson has never been off my back about it. The matter once held up Parliment for two and a half hours.”

Following the Premier’s speech, Mr. Spriggs, on behalf of club members, presented Mr. Phil Pritchard, the Architect of the complex of the voluntary services. In response Mr. Pritchard said that although he had originally joined the club to get a golf handicap, he had been drawn to it by the warmth and friendliness of the members.

“It has been a privilege to work with you”. he said, “I thank all of you who have helped me and I thank you for the honour of allowing me to assist”.

Thanks was also extended to Mr. Neil Gaunt, the builder, and his partner Mr. Bert McAllister, Mr. Percy Webb, Mr. Greg Lewkowski, and Mr. Neil Weston.

Mr. Neil Guant praised the ladies of the Club for their untiring efforts in cleaning up after the builders and for putting together the bead screens.

The Vice President Mr. Taylor spoke of the tremendous contribution made to the club by the lady members over the years, and this was evident in that three of the six Life Members were ladies.

Mr. G. Samuells, Chairman of the Water Board also spoke of the achievements of the Club and said a vote of thanks should go to the Country Water Supply Board for allowing the Club to use the new site.

The Shire Clerk, Mr. L. O’Meara, on behalf of the Shire said that the Council had been very worried about George Spriggs, as the Club House neared completion his grin had been getting so wide they were afraid the bottom of his face might fall off! He went on to say that George Spriggs had a habit of making things work, he had managed to get both the Governor and the Premier of the State to attend the opening (which was not a bad score) and even the weather had obliged.

The opening was followed by a buffet tea and then the celebrations got into full swing. It was not an affair for the feeble or faint of heart. Dancing continued through the night with a change of bands at 1.00a.m. and gradually, as the less hardy retreated to home and bed, the crowd was whittled down to about 300, who stayed on for the champagne breakfast between 5.00a.m. and 8.00a.m.. This does not mean that only youth survived, one couple, Mr. and Mrs. Harry Whittaker of Carmel were among the stayers. Mr. Whittaker being only one week short of his eightieth birthday. Mrs. L. Spriggs, Life Member put up a very good showing too.

As morning dawned some seemed to have more energy than others, a challenge was issued and taken up for a race around the oval – the contestants – A member of the executive staff of Council (recently returned from Canberra) and a well known local M.L.A. – Result – dead heat?? The morning concluded with a Pennant Golf Match won by Jeff Downing, a barman who had been on duty throughout the whole of the festivities.

Alan Fernie Pavilion & Swimming Pool

However the Club has not lost sight of its more humble origins. The old Club house was dismantled and re-erected on the new site as part of the Alan Fernie Pavilion, that was named in honour of the Club’s long serving treasurer. This complex included a magnificent swimming pool which amid many objections and doubtful reasons, was eventually filled in.

Bocce Pitch

The original Bocce Pitch, was built in 1939 by Dom Marchetti, near what is now McCorkill Road. It has also been listed by the Heritage Council of Western Australia as of historical interest because of the social and civic activities it served. This game is extremely popular amongst the large Italian Community in Pickering Brook.

Modern History

In modern times, Pickering Brook has assumed the mantle of the sporting centre of the Kalamunda area.. From small beginnings in 1920, the original sporting area grew under the Whitlam Labor Government to one of the biggest single sporting complexes in the whole of Australia. In the early 1950’s about 30 local people each put in 20 pounds ($40) to build a golf course and a club house which was granted a liquor licence. It was a self-help job by the local people. Then in the 1970’s work started on a tremendous new building programme on the north side of Pickering Brook Road on an A class reserve. Work was started when the Pickering Brook Sports Club Inc obtained a loan from the Kalamunda Shire Council. The Commonwealth Government’s RED Scheme (for Regional Employment and Development) then started in an effort to allay Australia’s growing unemployment, and a grant of $100.000 was made, all of which was spent on building the huge stone retaining wall around the oval in 1974. This was part of the $900,000 which was obtained by the Kalamunda Shire from the RED Scheme.


Shire Engineer Geoff Dutton was handing out Red Scheme money, and was kept informed of the sort of things the money was being spent on in other parts of Australia. The shire loan is being repaid from membership fees and bar proceeds, both of which are surprisingly large for such a small place. The membership in 1978 was 1,200, plus between 200 and 300 non-paying children. The population in Pickering Brook in that year was about 1,300. The annual subscription was $20. The sporting facilities included: six tennis courts under lights, of which two are marked for basketball and netball; a full sized oval for football and cricket; two bowling greens, one under lights; an 18-hole golf course; two squash courts; one hall in which badminton is played; one clubhouse with bar and one half-sized olympic pool which was partly finished in August 1978. George Spriggs was president of the club for 22 years, and Alan Fernie treasurer for the same period. According to Spriggs, it was the Whitlam Government’s intention, had it remained in power, to make a movie film of the various sporting areas and use it as a model for other sporting complexes around Australia to follow.


References: Article: Cala Munnda – A Home in the Forest
Kerry Reverzani (nee Granger)
Pickering Brook Heritage Group

Images: 1 Roads Family
2, 3, 4, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 Kalamunda & Districts Historical Society
5, 6 Battye Library
12, 13, 15, 115, 116, 117 Gordon Freegard
14, 16, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 37, 112, 113, 114 Pickering Brook Heritage Group
17 Holroyd Family
18 Di Marco Family
25 Francais Family
36 Internet
38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 , 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90,
91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106 Pat Granger
46 West Australian Newspapers
82, 83, 109, 110, 111, 118, 119 Pickering Brook Sports Club
84 Stephanie O’Meagher
107, 108 Kalamunda News